[Gdal-dev] KML Write-only driver for OGR

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed May 24 17:47:46 EDT 2006

Folks,

Christopher Condit wrote:
 > Hi Frank-
 >
 > I know this is unsolicited, but I added this for my own use and I know
 > there’s been some discussion on the mailing list about KML.  If it’s
 > useful to the community and you’re interested in adding it to OGR,
 > please do.
 >
 > I’m attaching the source (and modifications to main files) for an OGR
 > driver that outputs KML.  Since KML is so close to GML, I just modified
 > the GML driver and removed read support since it doesn’t make much sense
 > to read a KML file.  The source could probably be cleaner since I don’t
 > really know OGR at all.  But it works well for writing and does not
 > require Xerces.
 >
 > I’d be happy to put in time to support this driver.
 >
 > Thanks for all your hard work on GDAL – it’s a great tool!
 >
 > -Chris

It occurs to me that I shouldn't really be making the decision to
incorporate this on my own.  So I'm calling for a vote on this inclusion.

As I see it the downside is that this driver is write-only, which isn't
a concept that is particularly well handled by OGR (there is not way for
a driver to indicate it is write only currently).   However, we have done
this for GML, and DWG/DXF in the past so it isn't a new thing.

Beyond that I (well actually Mateusz on my behalf) and Christopher would
be responsible for supporting the driver.  Furthermore, we would incorporate
a simple test script into the gdalautotest for it.

So, I'll start things out with a +1 in support of this new driver.

PS. I don't foresee needing a written RFC for non-disruptive changes such
as adding a new driver.