[Gdal-dev] Dissolving internal boundaries

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon Oct 23 14:49:37 EDT 2006

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 matt.pettis at thomson.com wrote:

> Is there any way with gdal/ogr tools to join polygons into a single
> polygon based upon a .dbf attribute and dissolve the interior boundaries
> of constituent shapefile polygons?  I created an ascii visual at the
> bottom to describe what I want if the verbage is not clear.

We did such a thing using a modified Python script, processing
Tiger/Line files into Shapefiles for our project.  The original
script we started with was "tigerpoly.py" from GDAL/OGR, and our
modified version is "xastir/scripts/Xastir_tigerpoly.py".

So yes, it's possible, and there are a couple of pointers for you!