[Gdal-dev] some problem on gdal support hdf4 format

xiongfei wen wxfei19 at yahoo.com.cn
Mon Sep 25 08:04:29 EDT 2006

gdal-dev at lists.maptools.org:

            I am a student from China PR, I have got a problem on dealing hdf4 format with GDAL.
            I downloaded a gdal package from www.gdal.org/dl ,after unzip the gdal131.zip I found a file named makefile.opt. in this file it says

  # Uncomment the following and update to enable NCSA HDF Release 4 support.
#HDF4_DIR = D:\warmerda\HDF41r5
#HDF4_LIB = /LIBPATH:$(HDF4_DIR)\lib Ws2_32.lib

  I have downloaded the HDF42r1 from NCSA,I set it in C:/myhdfstuff ,and I can access the hdf files using the HDF library,and I change HDF4_DIR and HDF4_LIB into
  # Uncomment the following and update to enable NCSA HDF Release 4 support.
HDF4_DIR = C:\MyHDFStuff\HDF42r1\hdf4lib\debug
HDF4_LIB = C:\MyHDFStuff\HDF42r1\hdf4lib\debug\lib C:\MyHDFStuff\HDF42r1\hdf4lib\release\lib Ws2_32.lib

  then I run "nmake /f  makefile.vc " , A link error always occured ,why this happened, when I comment the line of HDF4_DIR HDF4_LIB,I can run the commands "nmake /f  makefile.vc" ,"nmake /f  makefile.vc install " ,'" nmake /f  makefile.vc devinstall" successfully, and I can use GDAL access the .img (HFA) files .

  what should I do if I want to use gdal support  hdf4 and hdf5?

  Looking forward for your reply!!

                                                                     Xiongfei Wen
                                                                    2006-9-25