[Gdal-dev] python ng - existing scripts

Howard Butler hobu at iastate.edu
Sat Feb 17 19:24:55 EST 2007

William,

We have bent over backwards to attempt to preserve backward
compatibility between the older and ng python bindings, but there are
indeed some differences.  A glaring one that impacts the usage of
some of the scripts in /pymod is that some of those depend on
Numeric, while the ng bindings only have numpy support.  Most of the
method signatures and classes should behave similarly to the older
bindings.  There are still a few things that are missing from the ng
bindings that will need to be added (mostly GDAL related...OGR is
pretty much complete).  I (and no one that I know of) have not
actually gone through pymod and done any analysis to see what/where/
how things will need to be updated.

It is my hope that we can have the ng bindings be the default Python
bindings for GDAL 1.5, but this goal clearly will require some more
effort.  I agree that the utility scripts in /pymod would fit nicely
in a /scripts or /bin target of setup.py.  I would also like to
someday (optionally) support setuptools.  I desperately feel we need
the GDAL python stuff in some sort of namespace as well.  Monkeying
with our current layout in that regard is likely to cause lots of
churn and annoyance and violates Frank's GDAL rule #1.

Another heavy user of the older bindings is OpenEV.  IIRC, OpenEV
depends on some of the blacker magic in the older _gdalmodule, and
significant effort would be required to bring that forward.  Frank
can comment more, but I think that this usage was one of the major
limiting factors in not making the ng bindings the default thus far.

In summary, going forward, the ng bindings are going to be the ones
seeing continual development and support (especially with other
languages like C# and Java driving a lot of the development because
the ng bindings opened GDAL up to those languages).  I will let Frank
comment more on what he thinks of the situation, but I seem to
remember him stating that going forward with the ng bindings as the
default Python bindings in 1.5 was something that he was interested in.

Howard