[Gdal-dev] python ng - existing scripts

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Sun Feb 18 01:06:52 EST 2007

Ah, I thought the NG bindings were a little farther along, I guess.
I was hoping to switch to the new bindings for my binary framework
package, but I can wait for 1.5.  Don't want to cause problems for
others that use my binary packages ^_^

At least I got it built with Python 2.5 (with the patched wrappers)
and the autotests work with only a couple exceptions.

On Feb 17, 2007, at 6:24 PM, Howard Butler wrote:

> William,
>
> We have bent over backwards to attempt to preserve backward
> compatibility between the older and ng python bindings, but there
> are indeed some differences.  A glaring one that impacts the usage
> of some of the scripts in /pymod is that some of those depend on
> Numeric, while the ng bindings only have numpy support.  Most of
> the method signatures and classes should behave similarly to the
> older bindings.  There are still a few things that are missing from
> the ng bindings that will need to be added (mostly GDAL
> related...OGR is pretty much complete).  I (and no one that I know
> of) have not actually gone through pymod and done any analysis to
> see what/where/how things will need to be updated.
>
> It is my hope that we can have the ng bindings be the default
> Python bindings for GDAL 1.5, but this goal clearly will require
> some more effort.  I agree that the utility scripts in /pymod would
> fit nicely in a /scripts or /bin target of setup.py.  I would also
> like to someday (optionally) support setuptools.  I desperately
> feel we need the GDAL python stuff in some sort of namespace as
> well.  Monkeying with our current layout in that regard is likely
> to cause lots of churn and annoyance and violates Frank's GDAL rule
> #1.
>
> Another heavy user of the older bindings is OpenEV.  IIRC, OpenEV
> depends on some of the blacker magic in the older _gdalmodule, and
> significant effort would be required to bring that forward.  Frank
> can comment more, but I think that this usage was one of the major
> limiting factors in not making the ng bindings the default thus far.
>
> In summary, going forward, the ng bindings are going to be the ones
> seeing continual development and support (especially with other
> languages like C# and Java driving a lot of the development because
> the ng bindings opened GDAL up to those languages).  I will let
> Frank comment more on what he thinks of the situation, but I seem
> to remember him stating that going forward with the ng bindings as
> the default Python bindings in 1.5 was something that he was
> interested in.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"We are at war with them. Neither in hatred nor revenge and with no
particular pleasure I shall kill every ___ I can until the war is
over. That is my duty."

"Don't you even hate 'em?"

"What good would it do if I did? If all the many millions of people
of the allied nations devoted an entire year exclusively to hating
the ____ it wouldn't kill one ___ nor shorten the war one day."

<Ha, ha> "And it might give 'em all stomach ulcers."

- Tarzan, on war