[Gdal-dev] Transfer the shp file(polygon) into raster data

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Feb 26 10:23:38 EST 2007

Lijian Shi wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I am using gdal_rasterize to transfer the shp file(polygon) into raster
> data but could not get the right result. The gdal_rasterize can not
> create the raster data yet so I use a ‘geotiff’ file which contains the
> area of shp file. Am I right? Is there any other program with c or c++
> to do this work? I tried to write the code by myself according to the
> code of gdal_raterize but it seems to be difficult to me.

Lijian,

As you note, currently gdal_rasterize does not support creating the output
file, so using an existing geotiff of the target region is a reasonable
approach.

> Otherwise, can I do this job with MapServer? If yes, could you please
> tell me the procedure roughly?

MapServer could do this if you are trying to produce output results with
1 or 3 8bit bands.  For instance if the result you seek is essentially
presentable images, as opposed to scientific rasterization outside the 8bit
domain.