[Gdal-dev] Save/restore Geo from a TIFF with GDAL?

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Tue Jan 9 01:37:48 EST 2007

Ben Discoe wrote:
> In the GeoTIFF FAQ (http://remotesensing.org/geotiff/faq.html) under
> the entry "How do I preserve GeoTIFF info when editing my image?", it
>  explains you can do this:
>
> listgeo -no_norm original.tif > original.geo geotifcp -g original.geo
>  modified.tif modified_geotiff.tif
>
> For those of us with command-line tools from gdal but not from
> libgeotiff, is it possible to do the same?  I tried to figure out how
>  to do it with gdal_translate, but it was not at all clear.

I've not seen any such tool in GDAL itself.
However, FWTools package - a user-friendly GDAL distribution - includes
listgeo and geotifcp utilities, so may be it's enough to consider these
tools as included :-)

Another option I can see is to write a simple script that does the job.
Check pymod/samples/gdalcopyproj.py which copies geotransform metadata
from one dataset to another. I think it's a good base to start.

Cheers
--
Mateusz Loskot
http://mateusz.loskot.net