[Gdal-dev] How to plot mercator projection map using ogr or proj

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Mar 15 11:17:14 EDT 2007

Murat Beyhan wrote:
> Hi friends,
>
> I used to drawing map by mapserver.
> I have some ESRI shape file. I would like to draw a map which its'
> projection is mercator.
> I'm asking you is it possible to draw a map by using EsRI file and how
> can I draw this map by using mercator projection.
> In map file I tried following commands but there is no diferences on the
> map.
>
> PROJECTION
> proj=merc
> END

Murat,

This seems like a question more appropriate to the mapserver-users
mailing list.

I thought you needed to quote strings for .map files.

eg.
PROJECTION
  "proj=merc"
END

Furthermore, I'd encourage you to use the "all in one plus format"
and to include an explicit ellipse.

PROJECTION
  "+proj=merc +datum=WGS84"
END

Don't forget that in addition to placing the above in your MAP
section of your .map file, you also need appropriate projection
declarations for your layers.  For instance, if the layers are
actually geographic WGS84 you would put:

PROJECTION
  "+proj=latlong +datum=WGS84"
END

on your layers.