[Gdal-dev] Motion: Migrate from Bugzilla to Trac

Schuyler Erle schuyler at nocat.net
Tue Mar 20 01:04:12 EDT 2007

* On 19-Mar-2007 at  8:02AM PST, Howard Butler said:

> - Integration of source code, wiki, and bugs.  You can refer to
> changesets/bugs/etc in wiki, commits, etc and the linkages happen
> automatically.  For example, it a bug report you could say "in
> r10000, hobu made a bonehead mistake" and r10000 would be a link to
> that changeset in the source where it happened.  Everything is more
> accessible by having it all in the same place.

Actually, it's tough to overstate the value of this feature. In
OpenLayers, as a matter of project policy, each commit message
references the bug number it addresses (if applicable), and then each
bug references the commit(s) that fixes it when the bug is closed.
Trac's ability to then auto-linkify these references in the Trac web
interface has immeasurably enhanced our ability to document and track
changes to the code, and be able to sift through when and why a
particular change was made. These things are all possible with CVS and
Bugzilla, but Trac and SVN make it totally painless.

SDE