[Gdal-dev] Motion: Migrate from Bugzilla to Trac

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Tue Mar 20 11:55:18 EDT 2007

Schuyler Erle wrote:
> * On 19-Mar-2007 at  8:02AM PST, Howard Butler said:
>> - Integration of source code, wiki, and bugs.  You can refer to
>> changesets/bugs/etc in wiki, commits, etc and the linkages happen
>> automatically.  For example, it a bug report you could say "in
>> r10000, hobu made a bonehead mistake" and r10000 would be a link to
>>  that changeset in the source where it happened.  Everything is
>> more accessible by having it all in the same place.
>
> Actually, it's tough to overstate the value of this feature. In
> OpenLayers, as a matter of project policy, each commit message
> references the bug number it addresses (if applicable), and then each
>  bug references the commit(s) that fixes it when the bug is closed.
> Trac's ability to then auto-linkify these references in the Trac web
>  interface has immeasurably enhanced our ability to document and
> track changes to the code, and be able to sift through when and why a
>  particular change was made. These things are all possible with CVS
> and Bugzilla, but Trac and SVN make it totally painless.

Schuyler,

Yes, that's a very good point.
I already use this feature and link my fixes on Bugzilla to
appropriate changesets on the Trac.

This way, anyone (including me) can easily check what changes exactly
have been submitted in a bug fix.
Sometimes, a bug fix introduces...new bugs :-) and next after a fix for
fix is applied, it's very helpful to see the history of bug fix changes
in readable form.

For example, I fixed a bug 1521:
http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/changeset/10969

and in next few minutes, I found my fix was buggy, so I re-fixed it:
http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/changeset/10975

I included both URLs in Bugzilla report for bug 1521.

In trac, when I can include r10969 in a comment and it will
automatically link.

Simply, the bug history is easily observable together with changes in
sources.

Certainly, the same can be achieved with Bugzilla and CVS diff, but Trac
makes it far easier and faster.

Cheers
--
Mateusz Loskot