[Gdal-dev] gdal_merge and gdalwarp: Problems with 1 bit data

uwe.schmitz at lverma.nrw.de uwe.schmitz at lverma.nrw.de
Tue Oct 16 04:21:36 EDT 2007

Mateusz,

> AFAIK, 1-bit datatype (generally, non-byte) is represented as
> GDT_Byte,
> so I'd call it as known behavior.

I see the point, to handle non-byte Data as GDT_Byte internally.
But shouldn't the drivers for formats which allow to write
non-byte data keep track of this and pack the bytes to whatever
is specified.

Noteworthy gdal_translate has no problems in writing 1-Bit Data
and though I haven't looked into it, I assume it uses the same
interface.

Anyhow, I think it isn't a good behaviour to write corrupted
data. At least there has to be an error message saying:
"Can't handle that sort of data". This may save some headache :-)

Uwe