[gdal-dev] ESRI file database

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Feb 7 11:59:59 EST 2008

Clay, Bruce wrote:
> I checked the supported format list and did not see ESRI file database.
>  Is a driver in the works or does some other existing driver work with
> them such as the SDE driver?

Bruce,

There is no driver in the works (that I know of).  I don't know if it can
be used through the SDE driver.  I got the impression once from an ESRI person
that there is a higher level API we should have been using if we wanted one
way to use all ESRI feature databases.

I understand the format is supposed to be "open" but that it wasn't clear how
this would be accomplished a year ago.  Perhaps someone could ask if it is now
clear, and how it is accomplished so we can write a driver.