[gdal-dev] Which Linux OS to use when GDAL/OGR is used.

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Feb 20 10:22:44 EST 2008

vdharan nadra wrote:
> HI,
>
> We are going to hire a server and going to use GDAL/OGR .Can any one
> help me to select the best one from the following.
> 1. Red Hat enterprise 4
> 2. Red Hat enterprise 5
> 3. Cent OS 4
> 4. Cent OS 5
>
> Also if i want to use FWTools installer please tell me for which of
> the above OS it is supported.

N.Vidhiyadharan,

GDAL works well on any pretty much any 32bit x86 linux and should work fine
on any of the above.  FWTools should also specifically work on any of the
above.  So, you might as well look at other criteria (price, more recent,
etc).

I would note that if Debian were trivially available it is nice because
many GIS packages have been packaged for it by the DebianGIS project.
But if FWTools has what you need then any of them will do.