[gdal-dev] GdalWarp Errors?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Feb 28 11:20:27 EST 2008

aestrada wrote:
> All,
>     I am reprojecting some data as part of a really long workflow
> using Gdal_Translate to import ECW data to GeoTIFF --> GdalWarp to
> reproject the output from that --> then I use another application to
> export back to MrSID.
>
> GdalWarp is producing this error and after 1000 line errors, it quits
> the job.
>
> ERROR 1: TIFFAppendToStrip:Write error at scanline 7635
> ERROR 1: TIFFAppendToStrip:Write error at scanline 7635
> ERROR 1: TIFFWriteEncodedStrip() failed.
>
> This is just a snapshot of a single line.  Could it be that the
> temporary TIFF file that was created by Gdal_Translate is too large
> for GdalWarp?  The files that are being produced by Gdal_Translate are
> roughly about 1.5 gigs so I really don't think they should be killing
> the software.  Does anyone have an idea about what might be happening?

AWE,

Things should be quite safe if the TIFF file grows no larger than 2GB.
Normally it should even be fine up to 4GB.

So, I would start by checking the file size.  The next thing I would
suggest is trying the operation using a very recent FWTools build.  I
have fixed some nasty problems in libtiff with "update in place" which
might resolve the issue you are seeing.  This update-in-place does occur
a lot with gdalwarp, but not with straight-through translation such as is
done by gdal_translate.