[gdal-dev] netCDF to GRIB 1

Bas Retsios retsios at itc.nl
Mon Jan 7 12:20:45 EST 2008

Hello,

The GDAL-GRIB driver mentioned will read GRIB files (not write them),
therefore it can not be directly used for converting netCDF to GRIB files.
However, this information might help:
For saving time when I was working on this driver, I implemented it as a
"wrapper" around a full GRIB library written by Mr. Arthur Taylor.
The SVN link below contains both the "wrapper" that gives GDAL
"GRIB-read" capabilities (which is file gribdataset.cpp), and the full
GRIB library (which is all other files).
The GRIB library can both read and write GRIB files, but I only called
the functions for reading (because that is what I was interested in).
With some effort you would be able to extend gribdataset.cpp so that it
can also write back a GRIB file. This link
http://www.gdal.org/gdal_drivertut.html describes how to proceed, at
section "File Creation".

Cheers,

Bas.