[gdal-dev] Does CCITTFax-Compression of GeoTiffs work for you?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Sun Jan 13 12:39:25 EST 2008

Tom Kazimiers wrote:
> Ivan,
>
> thanks for your answer. I do not think that IrfanView writes out of
> standard CCITT - bu anyway I tryed with gdal_translate.
> Maybe I interpret this information wrong, but "gdal_translate --format
> GTiff" gives the following output:
>
> Format Details:
>  Short Name: GTiff
>  Long Name: GeoTIFF
>  Extension: tif
>  Mime Type: image/tiff
>  Help Topic: frmt_gtiff.html
>  Supports: Create() - Create writeable dataset.
>  Supports: CreateCopy() - Create dataset by copying another.
>  Creation Datatypes: Byte UInt16 Int16 UInt32 Int32 Float32 Float64
> CInt16 CInt32 CFloa
>
> <CreationOptionList>
>  <Option name="COMPRESS" type="string-select">
>    <Value>NONE</Value>
>    <Value>LZW</Value>
>    <Value>PACKBITS</Value>
>    <Value>JPEG</Value>
>    <Value>DEFLATE</Value>
>  </Option>

Tom,

These are creation options and do not indicate what compression types
are available when reading TIFF files.  In 1.4.3 the FAX compression types
were not supported by GDAL when creating a TIFF file but should be supported
when reading a file.

I don't know why you are having problems.   I would suggest you try reading
the file with a standard build of GDAL (for instance the FWTools build)
and verify that it works at which point you can hopefully isolate your
issue to being WinCE related.

If it is a WinCE specific problem you may need to solve it yourself or
discuss it with Mateusz Loskot.  But Mateusz is mostly unavailable for
several weeks.