[gdal-dev] gdalwarp trunk and FWtools giving different results

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed May 28 15:19:17 EDT 2008

Joaquim Luis wrote:
> Testing with RC2 shows that the wrong result persists like with the
> trunk version.
>
> with a small variation now
> gdalwarp -s_srs "+proj=merc +R=6371008.7714" -t_srs "+proj=latlong
> +datum=WGS84" alg.tiff alg_geo.tiff
>
> I have put the file at
> ftp.ualg.pt/users/jluis/alg.tiff
>
> Shell I file a ticket saying that gdalwarp is broken when converting
> from Mercator?

Joaquim,

I suspect the problem is that your source coordinate system has no
defined earth model that OGRSpatialReference understands.  Is the
+R parameter defining the radius for a spherical earth?

If so, you could file a ticket asking that
OGRSpatialReference::importFromProj4() be improved to support this
parameter. But the work around is to just define the sphere with
+a and +b which are supported.

-s_srs "+proj=merc +a=6371008.7714 +b=6371008.7714"

Or perhaps I'm on the wrong track, in which case a ticket would also
be a good idea.