[Gdal-dev] Is Gdal2tiles working somewhere?

Klokan Petr Přidal klokan at klokan.cz
Mon Oct 20 17:22:00 EDT 2008

Hello Pascal,

I am not completely sure what kind of example you would like to see...

Would you like to generate TMS tiles for a map in local map
projection (like French RGF93 based Lambert) and overlay it with
existing data from WMS server in the same projection?

That's not supported now. It means to add the Local TMS Profile to GDAL2Tiles...

Old GDAL2Tiles supports only raster based cutting.
New GDAL2Tiles from this year (the one I used for Grand Canyon overlay
tiles) generates only Global Mercator profile tiles.

I hope somewhen during this week I will publish a merged version of
those two which will support TMS tiles in the Mercator profile
(EPSG:900913), in the Gedetic profile (EPSG:4326) and also the old
raster based tiles.

The Local TMS profile described in
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Tile_Map_Service_Specification does not
have high priority for me right now. If you would like to include it
in GDAL2Tiles, I will be happy to cooperate with you on that. Feel
free to contact me directly.

> I never saw any example of this working. Even example of Kolkan, like this
> nice one: http://www.maptiler.org/example-usgs-drg-grand-canyon-gtiff/ has
> been generated for Google Maps!
>
> Am I oblige to use Google Maps?? Or to use Microsoft Map Cruncher and to
> make the necessary code to make it work inside Openlayers? Shame no?

In case you would like to only add WMS map to the generated OpenLayers
viewer with TMS tiles please check the OpenLayers project
documentation and the example
http://www.openlayers.org/dev/examples/spherical-mercator.html, which
includes both TMS and WMS layer.

The example HTML viewer generated by old GDAL2Tiles is using pixel
based coordinates, but there is commented section with sample of
projected coordinate specification in the code as well. Just play a bit with the
JavaScript code...
I will repair that in the new version of GDAL2Tiles...

TMS (and GDAL2Tiles) is not limited to the spherical mercator, but
global tile profiles is what people needs most when generating tiles.

Klokan