[gdal-dev] How to use gdal_retile?

Myeong Hun Jeong mhjeong74 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 04:05:16 EDT 2008

Dear lists.
I want TMS service with openlayers and raster data.
I have 136 tif files based on local TM coordination and each file
is about 250 mega.
First, I uesed gdal_retile.py
For instance,
python gdal_retile.py -v -of png -ps 256 256 -tileIndex index.shp
-tileIndexField LOCATION -r bilinear -levels 6 -targetDir C:\tmp\raster
--optfile C:\raster\tilelist.txt
After finishing this script, I can have genereated png images and move these
image files to Tomcat.
Next, how to use these image with openlayers? If I use gdal2tiles.py and
just one tif image file, I can see map images easily with openlayers.
I don't know how to set up openlayers when I use gdal_retile.py.

Another quesion is that when I run  gdal_retile.py script, I set up
tileIndex index.shp -tileIndexField LOCATION. What do tileindex and
tileindexField mean? when I use usually theses index shape file?

Last question is that if gdal_retile.py is not a good way to TMS with
openlayers, How to make hundreds of tif images to tile map image?
First, python gdal_merge.py -o C:\raster\total.tif -v --optfile
C:\raster\tilelist.txt
Next, python gdal2tiles.py -publishurl http://myserver/dir/ -nogooglemaps
-nokml -v C:\raster\total.tif  C:\tmp
Is this process correct?