[gdal-dev] tiff support: internal or external?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Sep 1 11:19:00 EDT 2008

Andreas Neumann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am wondering what are the pros and cons of using tiff support from
> internal or external (libtiff, libgeotiff). Are there any limitations with
> either approach? I am specifically wondering about the consequences with
> the bigtiff support. Do both approaches support bigtiff if I use the most
> recent versions?
>
> Thanks for any hints on what is the better option.

Andreas,

I think internal and external libtiff+libgeotiff should be equivelent
as long as you are essentially using "cvs head" of libtiff and libgeotiff.

So, the internal copies are generally there for convenient building, but
if you are preparing complex binaries then using external copies of libtiff
and libgeotiff may be more appropriate, such as I do with OSGeo4W and FWTools.