[gdal-dev] gdal_merge and the treatment of nodata value

Matt Wilkie matt.wilkie at gov.yk.ca
Wed Sep 3 12:40:44 EDT 2008

Hi Andreas,

If you use gdalwarp rather than gdal_merge you could use the -srcnodata
and -dstnodata flags to change the null value:

   gdalwarp in-01.tif in-02.tif outimage.tif -srcnodata 0 -dstnodata 255

This assumes the nodata in all the input images are the identical (0, or
black).

Since these are scanned maps, the edges may not be pure white or black,
in which case you may need to pre-process with the nearblack utility:
http://www.gdal.org/nearblack.html

cheers,

matt wilkie
Geographic Information,