[gdal-dev] problem with 5D variables in NetCDF

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Sep 23 16:16:37 EDT 2008

Michael Sumner wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The 5D dataset in this NetCDF file causes an error on Windows but not on
> Linux.
>
> http://staff.acecrc.org.au/~mdsumner/gdal/foo.nc
>
> The Windows FWTools is recent, and the Linux version is old:
>
> Linux: GDAL 1.5dev, FWTools 1.3.2, released 2007/06/01
>
> Windows: GDAL 1.6.0dev, FWTools 2.2.6, released 2008/08/22
>
> Is this a known problem? Variables of 2D, 3D and 4D all seem fine on
> Windows even
> when in a file containing a 5D variable.
>
> I've put details below for (1) the file, (2) the SDS on Linux, (3) the
> SDS on Windows.

Mike,

I have confirmed this problem and discovered that gdalinfo on the
same thing reports problems on linux if run under valgrind (but
happened not to crash).  So the bug is not actually new.  I have
filed:

   http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/2582

on the issue, and am committing a fix in subversion now.

Thanks for the bug report.

Do you have any objection to foo.nc being incorporated into the GDAL test
suite as public domain data?