[gdal-dev] Trying to isolate cause of segmentation fault in gdal_rasterize

Chaitanya kumar CH chaitanya.ch at gmail.com
Sat Sep 12 13:59:44 EDT 2009

Roger,

I would suggest you to try it with gdal-1.6.2 first.

If that fails, and if can provide a sample dataset that causes the
problem, submit a bug report at http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/

As for finding the difference between the datasets, you can use the
ogrinfo utility to examine the data. You can get the details about
ogrinfo at http://www.gdal.org/ogrinfo.html and some examples of using
it on postgresql at http://www.gdal.org/ogr/drv_pg.html

On Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 11:15 PM, Roger André <randre at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I would like to understand the cause of the segmentation fault I am getting
> with gdal_rasterize.  I am using the borders of the state of Texas to "burn"
> the shape onto an image.  I have tried this with state borders from 2
> different data sets: one from ESRI, and one from the US Census.  The ESRI
> data consistently fails, but the Census one does not, which leads me to
> believe there is something fundamentally different between the geometry data
> in each of them.  I would like to identify what that is, in the hopes of
> preventing it from happening in the future when the data is used in an
> automated system.
>
> Both data sets of 50-state boundaries were loaded into PostGIS using the
> shp2pgsql command.  The outlines of Texas were extracted from the DB using
> the pgsql2shp command, and both resulting Texas data sets have a single
> feature in them.  gdal_rasterize is being sourced from gdal-1.5.2.
>
> Would it be possible to turn on some sort of debug mode without recompiling
> gdal?  If not, I see that there is an "--enable-debug" configure option, but
> could use a little advice on how to use it properly to track this down.  Any
> other thoughts on why the problem might be happening would be welcome as
> well.
>
> Thanks in advance for your assistance,
>
> Roger
> --