[gdal-dev] Warp a file from two separate Lat and Long

Joaquim Luis jluis at ualg.pt
Thu Feb 18 12:22:14 EST 2010

Luisa,

I normally restrain to propose GMT solutions here, but I'll open one
more exception now as this problem seams easy to solve with it and also
because I have o idea how to do it with GDAL.
For this, if your grids are not in netCDF, you will need a GMT built
with GDAL support (I have one for Windows in Mirone's download page)

Use grd2xyz to construct a x,y,z (lon,lat,val) that will be
instantaneously "georeferenced"

# Below the '=gd' is not part of the file's name but instead the
instruction to direct GMT to use GDAL to read the grids
# No need for this if grids are netCDF
grd2xyz grid_withd_data=gd -Z > val.z
grd2xyz grid_withd_lon=gd -Z > lon.x
grd2xyz grid_withd_lat=gd -Z > lat.y

# Now paste the 3 columns
paste lon.x lat.y val.z > data.xyz

Probably at this point you will need to interpolate the "data.xyz" file
to create a new grid as the lon & lats are likely not north-south
aligned  (satellite data?) and not equispaced.

Joaquim Luis