[gdal-dev] OGR2OGR S57

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Oct 22 09:36:26 EDT 2010

timg wrote:
> I am new to this so pardon me if I ask a stupid question.  I have
> successfully used the ogr utility to convert an s57 ENC to kml format for
> overlay on google earth.  So now I have a google earth layer with a
> bazillion yellow pushpins...haha.  So My question...Is it possible to use
> ogr to just pull out a specific layer from the s57 and make that layer a kml
> file, and if so is it possible to pull out more than one layer at a time?
>
> I looked at the ogr2ogr commands but can't figure out how to do this, if it
> can be done would you please give me an example command to enter into the
> shell.
>
> my source file is master.000 and the kml file will be 099.kml

Tim,

It is possible to list the particular layers (by their object class name)
at the end of the ogr2ogr command.  If no layer names are provided then all
layers are translated.

So, for instance:

   ogr2ogr -f KML ~/099.kml master.000 ROADWY RUNWAY RIVERS

The ogr2ogr documentation is available at:

   http://www.gdal.org/ogr2ogr.html

though I must concede it has grown pretty complex.