[gdal-dev] ogr problems with MapInfo

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Thu Sep 30 08:44:04 EDT 2010

Sebastian E. Ovide wrote:

> can verbosity be increased further ?

I don't think so... the only way to know more about what is happening
would be to run this in gdb.

> and with TAB2TAB the only messages that I get are:
>
> gis at mapserver:/tmp$ /home/gis/src/mitab-1.7.0/mitab/tab2tab
> /home/gis/data/tmp/CA_AbandonedMine.TAB test.TAB
> ERROR 3: stat() failed for /home/gis/data/tmp/CA_AbandonedMine.id
>
> ERROR 3: Open() failed for /home/gis/data/tmp/CA_AbandonedMine.map
> ERROR 3: /home/gis/data/tmp/CA_AbandonedMine.TAB could not be opened as
> a MapInfo dataset.
> Failed to open /home/gis/data/tmp/CA_AbandonedMine.TAB

This looks like an uppercase vs lowercase file extension problem. There
is some logic in MITAB to try to guess and then adjust filename
extensions (e.g. .MAP vs .map) on non-Windows systems that uses stat()
and for some reason it seems to fail with the SMB share.

Can you please try renaming all files for a given table to lowercase
extensions (.tab, .map, .dat, .ind, .id) and then see if that changes
anything with the tab2tab program on the SMB share?

If that solves the issue then we'll need to reproduce this here and run
this in gdb to figure the exact source of the problem and fix it.

Daniel
--
Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/