[gdal-dev] GDAL windows installers available

Jason Roberts jason.roberts at duke.edu
Mon Jan 10 11:33:56 EST 2011

BTW, when we get to the Python bindings installer, this is another reason to
build the Python bindings installer as a .msi rather than a .exe. That is
possible with Python 2.5 and later.

I didn't find this option working with my Python installation (2.5 and 2.6),
is that something which have been added in a recent point release?

It exists in Python 2.5 (at least in my 2.5.4) but is not documented until
later versions, maybe 2.7. Look for
Python25\Lib\distutils\command\bdist_msi.py. I have never used it. This
early email
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/tutor/2007-February/052633.html>  might
help; it appears reference the original prototype (see link to
uni-potsdam.de) by Martin v. Löwis, is a long-time Python contributor.

One reason I’ve never used it is that it did not appear to support
pre-install and post-install scripts (scripts that run before and after the
Python files are installed). Or maybe it supported post-install but not
pre-install. Anyway, those are handy if you need to do something other than
get the Python code installed on the machine, which I need to do. I don’t
think you’ll need to do that for the Python bindings, so it shouldn’t be an
issue.

Jason