[gdal-dev] how to build java with GDAL

Paolo Corti pcorti at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 15:38:49 EDT 2011

Hi Natasha

> http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/GdalOgrInJavaBuildInstructions)
> but still i need to know the process as i later want to connect
> the build with Oracle spatial.

that instructions worked very well for me some weeks ago when building GDAL
1.7 (but also GDAL 1.8) Java 1.6 bindings (on Debian and RHEL).

> Does the code of ogr2ogr.java from
> http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/browser/trunk/gdal/swig/java/apps/
> helps in converting oracle spatial to shapefile?

that is a sample provided with the other ones, intended to prove as a sample
on how to write with GDAL Java bindings API the same widespread tool ogr2ogr
(written in C), commonly used in the context of GDAL command line tools for
vectorial migration tasks [0].
This is the primary tool in the FOSS4G panorama for making conversion
between vectorial formats. You will be able to import/export from oracle
spatial and shapefile with it (and a plethora of other formats), but you
will need to compile GDAL with OCI support [1].

You may use that Java version, but it would be more indicated (and updated)
the original ogr2ogr version

best regards
Paolo

[0]  http://www.gdal.org/ogr2ogr.html