[gdal-dev] IO Overhead when reading small subsets from Global Files

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Mon Dec 8 02:10:07 PST 2014

Le lundi 08 décembre 2014 10:44:41, Julian Zeidler a écrit :
> Dear Gdal-mailinglist,
>
> I am currently trying to optimize a Global Modell.
> The Modell reads small chunks (500x500) from lots (One for each day) of
> Global Datasets (40000x20000)
> These Dataset are compressed NetCDFs with a tilling activated (100x100).
> (See output oif gdalinfo attached)
> However when I measure the File-IO via NFS i get a Factor of ~10
> compared to the uncompressed Output image when testing with gdal. Inside
> teh Modell using the netCDF library diretyl i measure an even worst
> Factor of ~60 compared to compressed outputs). This is better than using
> untiled Inputs where the overhad was ~80x, but still a larger overhead
> than I expected.
> I tested it using gdal_translate in.nc out.tif -srcwin 6000 6000 500 500

Julian,

I'm not sure how chunck indexing works internally in netCDF, but there might
be an overhead when reading the "index" the first time. So perhaps if you do
your reads from the same GDAL dataset object, without closing it between
different requests, the overhead will decrease. If you were already doing that,
then I'm not sure what you can do, except converting into another format, like
GTiff.

Even