[gdal-dev] New compression library based on gdal design

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Sat Mar 1 14:31:06 PST 2014

Aaron,

I'm a bit surprised about your qualifying of the openjpeg code base as
"spaghetti code". I've not spent a lot of time in it, just fixing a few bugs
here or there, but this was not my feeling at all. I can't remember having
seen goto's.

Anyway just seeing that gpu_jpeg2k is licenced under Affero GPL, so if you plan
to port it, you will also be bound by that licence, which might limit the
potential audience for your library.

What would be cool is to have GPU accelerated backend in an existing library
such as OpenJPEG to avoid having to write yet another GDAL JPEG2000 driver. We
have already 5 of them ! And I think people have started experimented about
acceleration routines in OpenJPEG so that might be a good idea to exchange on
their mailing list about what already exists.

Best regards,

Even

> Hey Seth,
>
> I would love to have some help!  Currently I have gathered all the relevant
> open-source GPU accelerated code
> I could find here:
>
> https://github.com/OpenCodec
>
> My plan is to port an existing CUDA jpeg 2000 library to OpenCL:
>
> https://github.com/OpenCodec/gpu_jpeg2k
>
> My library will be called "ThousandthChicken", after the Seymour Cray
> quote:
>
> If you were plowing a field, which would you rather use? Two strong oxen or
> 1024
> chickens?<http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/s/seymourcra103779.html
> >

> Have a look a the code, if you have some time, and let me know your
> thoughts.
>
> Cheers,
> Aaron
>
> On Sat, Mar 1, 2014 at 11:06 AM, Seth Price <seth at pricepages.org> wrote:
> > I am interested in seeing an OpenCL JPEG2000 decoder/encoder developed. I
> > have a bit of experience writing OpenCL kernels. Please contact me if you
> > need help.
> > ~Seth
> >
> > via iPhone
> >
> > > On Mar 1, 2014, at 7:27 AM, Aaron Boxer <boxerab at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I recently started developing an open source jpeg2000 compression
> >
> > library using opencl.
> >
> > > I would like to base the library design on the very successful gdal
> >
> > library design.
> >
> > > Can anyone recomend any resources to help me to grok the high level
> >
> > design of gdal?
> >
> > > Thanks so much,
> > > Aaron

Geospatial professional services