[gdal-dev] New compression library based on gdal design

Aaron Boxer boxerab at gmail.com
Sat Mar 1 16:33:59 PST 2014

Hi Even,

> I'm a bit surprised about your qualifying of the openjpeg code base as
> "spaghetti code". I've not spent a lot of time in it, just fixing a few
> bugs
> here or there, but this was not my feeling at all. I can't remember having
> seen goto's.

Thanks for your feedback. Perhaps I was being overly harsh. I didn't mean
to imply that *all* of the OpenJpeg code is low quality,
but the code I did see looked like spaghetti. And what exactly is wrong
with goto ??? !!!!!  :):)
Goto has its place.

> Anyway just seeing that gpu_jpeg2k is licenced under Affero GPL, so if you
> plan
> to port it, you will also be bound by that licence, which might limit the
> potential audience for your library.

Good point. Once I do the port, and the code is working, I am planning on a
complete re-write,
so I will be able to choose the license for the library. But you bring up
an interesting point: which license
to choose.  I like to gpl v2 license, so perhaps that is what I will
choose.

> What would be cool is to have GPU accelerated backend in an existing
> library
> such as OpenJPEG to avoid having to write yet another GDAL JPEG2000
> driver. We
> have already 5 of them ! And I think people have started experimented about
> acceleration routines in OpenJPEG so that might be a good idea to exchange
> on
> their mailing list about what already exists.

Good idea. In fact, I have spent the last year or so on the OpenJPEG
mailing list, practically begging
people to help work on this. The response has been quite dismal. (In fact,
the entire OpenJPEG project has been dormant
for the last year, although it seems to be waking up over the last few
months)  One developer has mentioned that he would like to open source the
opencl additions to OpenJPEG that he has been working on for a few years,
but nothing seems to come of this.

Frustrated with the lack of progress, I decided to write my own. I would
like to integrate it back into OpenJPEG eventually,
if there is support from OpenJPEG developers to do this.

Best,
Aaron