[gdal-dev] Reading DNC nautical charts

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Sun Nov 22 13:59:35 PST 2015

There are two version of Nautical charts from what I can see:

1. DNC from www.nga.mil that you pointed at in VPF format
2. NOAA ENC charts

Here is a link explaining the difference:
http://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/mcd/learn_diffENC_DNC.html

The ENC charts are available in S57 format and maybe as shapefiles. I
played with the ENC charts a while ago with some success.

I thought OGR supported reading VPF files for VMAP0 data using (OGDI
Vectors (VPF, VMAP, DCW)). But I have no idea if it would work for DNC data.

You might be able to read these with openmap.bbn.com
http://openmap.bbn.com/doc/OpenMapDevGuide.pdf
see section 8.5

-Steve