[gdal-dev] Recommended OGR Driver For Very Large Vector Data

Patrick Young patrick.mckendree.young at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 11:45:41 PDT 2018

Hi all,

I've been trying to figure out a good format to store some very large
vector data in.  Basically, its a bunch of really dense polygons describing
the cutlines that compose a mosaic.  We've had reasonable success using
zipped shapefiles, but on the larger guys we're exceeding the 2GB file
size, so a more modern alternative is desired.

FileGBD worked alright but having to build GDAL with the ESRI driver to
write them is not desirable.  We also tried a GeoPackage, but it seemed a
little slow to read in QGIS.

The dream would be a nicely compressed format that can be spatially indexed
so that we can serve them up efficiently with mapserver.  Any
recommendations are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Patrick