[gdal-dev] Complex valued NoData

Agram, Piyush S (334D) Piyush.Agram at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Jul 24 11:45:09 PDT 2018

Hi,
    We are working on use cases where we have to perform operations similar to gdal_translate / gdalwarp on complex valued datasets.

The last discussion that I could on this topic in the mailing archives is from 2010:
https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/gdal-dev/2010-September/025906.html

I’m willing to put in some effort to update the algorithms to handle nodata values for complex valued datasets properly (which it currently appears to ignore). Any pointers on where to start looking or focus on would help?

We would like to avoid using pixel functions and manipulating the real/imag parts independently and then putting them back together.

There are also different options for interpreting nodata. I believe we are limited to real values for this metadata field and adding new fields / changing the type could be pretty disruptive.

  1.  Compare real value only (seems easiest to implement)
  2.  Compare that both real and imaginary values are set to no data (probably better way of checking?)

If one were to implement nodata support for complex-valued datasets, which implementation would be preferred.

Thanks
Piyush