[gdal-dev] Area from gdalinfo metadata on a .tif image

Tyler Burse tyler.burse at kitware.com
Thu Jul 26 07:02:13 PDT 2018

Hello,

I hope you all have had a great week so far. I am hoping you will be able
to provide some help because I have not been able to find a way to get the
area from the metadata returned by gdalinfo. What I get as the return of
gdalinfo appears to be a non-georeferenced figure such as:

C:\Temp>gdalinfo figure1.tif
Driver: GTiff/GeoTIFF
Files: figure1.tif
Size is 244, 210
Coordinate System is `'
Metadata:
  TIFFTAG_XRESOLUTION=96
  TIFFTAG_YRESOLUTION=96
  TIFFTAG_RESOLUTIONUNIT=2 (pixels/inch)
Image Structure Metadata:
  INTERLEAVE=PIXEL
Corner Coordinates:
Upper Left  (    0.0,    0.0)
Lower Left  (    0.0,  210.0)
Upper Right (  244.0,    0.0)
Lower Right (  244.0,  210.0)
Center      (  122.0,  105.0)
Band 1 Block=244x11 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Red
Band 2 Block=244x11 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Green
Band 3 Block=244x11 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Blue

Would you be able to help me with finding the best way to extract the area
in kilometers squared from this info using GDAL?

Best regards,

Tyler Burse
R&D Intern