[gdal-dev] gdalinfo not reading vertical datum information?

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Thu Aug 15 11:31:28 PDT 2019

On jeudi 15 août 2019 09:52:22 CEST Greif, Jeremiah wrote:
> I recently had a situation where i needed to add a vertical crs to a raster
> file.  I did what have done many times and use *gdal_translate -a_srs
> epsg:6350+5703 *to add the navd88 vertical datum to the raster file.  When
> I read the file to double check my work using gdalinfo i get the folllowing
> results which doesn't include the vertcrs infomation.
>
> [image: gdal_post_vrtcrs.PNG]
>
> When I look at the new raster file in Arc as well as the open source
> tiffinfo I do see that the gdal did in fact write the vertcrs into the
> file.  Why is gdalinfo not reading it though? has something changed in the
> way the tags are written/read with a recent release?

No, this has always been the behaviour of the GTiff driver. It does write
CompoundCRS, but on reading it only exposes the horizontal part, by default.
This behaviour can be changed by setting the configuratin option/environment
variable GTIFF_REPORT_COMPD_CS to YES
See
https://gdal.org/drivers/raster/gtiff.html#configuration-options

Note: for the new geotiff 1.1 specification (currently under vote at OGC), for
a file with geotiff 1.1 version number in it, the Compound CRS will be
reported by default

Even