[gdal-dev] Perforce issue in coordinate transformations with Gdal 2.3.2

Even Rouault even.rouault at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 08:38:31 PST 2019

Stefan,

I bet you also upgraded your PROJ version in the process ? I can't think of
a reason in GDAL itself for a performance change. But on the PROJ side,
yes, there might be some explanation
The main one I can see is that in PROJ 4.9.3, the Extended Transverse
Mercator is used by default for UTM, which has probably a higher
computation time. If you define the GDAL configuration option /
environmenet variable OSR_USE_ETMERC to NO, then the older Transverse
Mercator method will be used.
PROJ 5.0 has also undergone major changes that might have increased a bit
the computation time, but I wouldn't expect them to cause a 2x slowdown.

Even