[gdal-dev] Inserting PDF image to geoPDF

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Tue Jun 11 10:16:47 PDT 2019

On mardi 11 juin 2019 09:40:22 CEST Jane Wang wrote:
> Dear gdal-dev team,
>
> I am attempting to insert a (non-georeferenced) PDF image containing map
> legend and company logo using -co EXTRA_IMAGES=legend.pdf for my
> gdal_translate -of PDF command.
>
> However, in my output geoPDF document, the legend.pdf image has been
> rasterised which is not desired. I wonder if there is a work-around for
> this, or if I am not doing it correctly?

Yes, PDF files passed to EXTRA_IMAGES will be rasterized.

A possibility, requiring GDAL 3.0, is to use the new approach using a XML composition file :
https://gdal.org/drivers/raster/pdf.html#creation-of-pdf-file-from-a-xml-composition-file-gdal-3-0

With that, you can include a PDF, and its content will be inserted 'as it'.
That said, there is a restriction currently that the dimensions of the inserted PDF must
be identical to the ones of the output PDF.

Even