[gdal-dev] Should the next version (previously 2.5) be called GDAL 3.0 ?

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Wed May 1 15:07:04 PDT 2019

On Thu, 2 May 2019 at 04:56, Even Rouault <even.rouault at spatialys.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> As a feedback from the previous motion, it appears that GDAL 3.0 would
>
> probably better reflect the API & behaviour changes that have been done, and
>
> be in accordance with our HOWTO-RELEASE procedure and semantic versionning

I'm +1 for this -- I also think that API has changed with the proj
upgrade. Even the removal of support files like the gcs.csv file has
impact on downstream projects which rightly or wrongly depend on this
file (e.g. QGIS).

Is there any other api breaking changes planned if the version does
get bumped to 3.0? Or is it restricted solely to the projection
related api?

Nyall