[gdal-dev] GDAL 3 + PROJ 6 performance issue in CENTOS

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Thu Nov 28 12:34:49 PST 2019

> The full discovery can be seen in
> https://github.com/RemotePixel/amazonlinux/issues/10
> <https://github.com/RemotePixel/amazonlinux/issues/10> and
> https://github.com/RemotePixel/amazonlinux/issues/16
> <https://github.com/RemotePixel/amazonlinux/issues/16>.

> The dockerfile can be found here
> https://github.com/RemotePixel/amazonlinux/blob/master/base/gdal3.0/Dockerf
> ile
> <https://github.com/RemotePixel/amazonlinux/blob/master/base/gdal3.0/Docker
> file>
>
> The logs (PROJ or GDAL) don’t tell anything, they are almost similar. The
> only notable difference is : ```
> # CENTOS
> GDAL: GDALDriver::Create(GTiff,out.tif,256,256,1,UInt16,(nil))

Vincent, now I see CentOS, I'm pretty sure now that you hit:
https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/proj/2019-November/008984.html

Basically we discovered that while PROJ 6 compiled and worked against CentOS 7
system sqlite, the query optimized of this sqlite version did a bad job that
could result in dramatic performance issues as you found. So the fix is to run
against a not too old sqlite. We have set the minimum to sqlite 3.11.

Even