[gdal-dev] FileGDB create layer error

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Fri Oct 25 01:38:51 PDT 2019

On vendredi 25 octobre 2019 08:19:54 CEST Jon Morris wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I came across an intermittent system test failure and just wanted to clarify
> what was going on.
>
> While trying to add a layer to a newly-created File GDB, we got the error
> message: Failed at creating table for \expected_dem_mods_germany (General
> function failure.).
>
> Turning on GDAL debugging gave the message:
>
> FGDB: Did not found a match in ESRI SRS DB for layer SRS. Using morphed SRS
> WKT. Failure is to be expected
>
> The XML output below included this element:
>
>             <WKT>PROJCS["Lambert_Azimuthal_Equal_Area",GEOGCS["GCS_GRS
> 1980(IUGG ,
> 1980)",DATUM["D_unknown",SPHEROID["GRS80",6378137,298.257222101]],PRIMEM["G
> ree
> nwich",0],UNIT["Degree",0.017453292519943295]],PROJECTION["Lambert_Azimutha
> l_Equ
> al_Area"],PARAMETER["latitude_of_origin",52],PARAMETER["central_meridian",1
> 0],PA
> RAMETER["false_easting",4321000],PARAMETER["false_northing",3210000],UNIT["
> Meter ",1]]</WKT>
>
> So, question 1: is this failure because the SRS is not in the Esri list of
> expected coordinate systems?

Yes

> However, question 2: why does it not fail every time? The only place we have
> seen this error is during a conda build on our CI server, when using Python
> 2. When we run tests on our local machines, or use our tool on Python 3,
> the layer is created OK. I want to be sure that users are not going to
> encounter this error, and that our tool is able to handle their data.

Are you sure you use the same FileGDB SDK version ? Latest versions might have
relaxed this.
On Linux, there are (were ?) also incompatibilities due to the FileGDB SDK
embedding libxml2, which could be of a different version than the system
libxml2 to which GDAL might also link to, causing runtime clashes.

The joys of proprietary software...

Even