[gdal-dev] Windows CI build times

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Thu Apr 16 16:16:31 PDT 2020

Hi,

I've been a bit frustrated lately by the time spent on the GDAL AppVeyor CI builds: roughly 50
minutes for each of the two configs we test, VS 2017 x86 and VS 2015 x64, which can cause
huge delays in case of busy days with many pull requests etc. (those delays also impact PROJ
since the limitation to one simultaneous build is for the whole OSGeo GitHub organization)

The immediate solution would be to just test VS 2017 x64 to cut that time down and drop
VS2015 and x64 testing. However as strange as it sounds, there are still people using x86
builds...

I guess porting to Azure Pipelines (which we already use to refresh gdal.org) could be a
solution as well, since apparently they have a 10 concurrent job limit ( according to
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/devops/pipelines/licensing/concurrent-jobs?
view=azure-devops )

A ccache type of builds could also help since we rarely change headers. I believe I tried to
investigate that in the past but didn't find anything really working.

If someone is looking for ideas for contribution...

Even