[gdal-dev] Building for Java on MacOS

Ivan Lucena ivan.lucena at outlook.com
Mon Apr 27 07:18:20 PDT 2020

Hi David,

I am in the process of refreshing my GDAL building process in a Mac, so I might be able to help with that question.

You need to install SWIG in your machine. And one way to do that is using the HomeBrewer [brew.sh] another is Anaconda [anaconda.com]

$ brew install swig

or

$ conda install swig

Homebrew mess with you OS and Apple updates might mess with your brew installed software. Anaconda keeps it all in a user sub-folder. It is up to you.

I am not interested in building the Java binding, only Python, but once upon a time I remember I could get all you need "just" by installing uDig [udig.refractions.net]. I mean, the GDAL Java binding was included and ready to use.

Regards,

Ivan