[gdal-dev] gdalwarp, by reading .RPB file

Patrick Young patrick.mckendree.young at gmail.com
Wed Jan 15 14:12:30 PST 2020

Hi Elmir,

RPCs are just an approximation to the underlying camera model via rational
polynomials; so just a pair of functions that go from XYZ world coordinates
to line/sample in the image.  To make an orthophoto, you first figure out
where the orthophoto is located on the earth, and at each projected xy
coordinate, you look up your height at that coordinate in the DEM and
project back to image space using the camera model (RPCs in this case).

GDAL can do this for you, as you know.  You can feed GDAL DEM to use via
the RPC_DEM option to gdalwarp; you can find some examples at
http://fwarmerdam.blogspot.com/2013/09/exploring-rpcs.html .

One thing that is easy to forget about is handling the verical datum
correctly.  Often times, DEM heights are relative to the geoid, but you
usually need the heights relative to the ellipsoid when you make your
orthophoto.  GDAL can do the conversion for you if you specify the vertical
datum right, although I usually mess it up!

Hope that helps,
Patrick