[gdal-dev] Current state of Winkel Tripel projection support

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Tue Jun 2 03:46:39 PDT 2020

Dominique,

A few remarks:
- There's no EPSG:54030
- There's a ESRI:54030
- ESRI:54030 is World_Robinson, so no Winkel Tripel
- The PROJ implementation of Winkel Tripel supports since 2015 the inverse method, using
an iterative approach. But there might potential convergence issues. I see it uses a very small
epsilon in longitude/latitude (1e-12 radian)
- Robinson uses also an inverse method using an iterative approach

The best would be to identify the points that fail to reproject and see if it is expected or not.

Even