[gdal-dev] GRIB SRS sensitive to CHECK_WITH_INVERT_PROJ

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Tue Jun 2 13:43:32 PDT 2020

Hi Sean,

> An empty string is printed to the terminal after the second warning. Note
> that behavior was different with rasterio 1.1.4, which
> set CHECK_WITH_INVERT_PROJ=YES internally in an attempt to improve the
> defaults.
>
> The warning comes from
> https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/blob/2818ff0a49f65741a55b9cea79df496cc05f85e3/
> gdal/frmts/grib/gribdataset.cpp#L2149 .
>
> Is this sensitivity expected?

I'd say this isn't completely unexpected if the corners of the dataset are far from the
projection center. There might be convergence issues in the inverse projection method (or it
might not try to converge down to the precision we expect with
CHECK_WITH_INVERT_PROJ=YES)

CHECK_WITH_INVERT_PROJ is mostly a gdalwarp implementation detail to make things work
in some cases. I wouldn't advise to use it universally unless you know you need to use it (one
good reason is that not all PROJ projection methods have an inverse method, even if most
popular ones do have one)

Even