[gdal-dev] Call for discussion on RFC77 Drop Python 2 support

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Mon Nov 16 07:13:31 PST 2020

Sean,

> It makes sense to me. I'm not aware of GDAL needing any features of Python
> 3.7, so 3.6 sounds good.
>
> Since the project hasn't dropped support for a Python version in a long
> time, maybe there should be a plan to warn in code

Idan has a pull request in https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/pull/3165 adding a
deprecation warning if running a Python version that is known to be
unsupported in the the next GDAL version. We should merge this in the 3.2
branch too for 3.2.1

> and make announcements on OSGeo lists?

Would indeed makes sense to announce that in the release notes of 3.2.1 too

Even