[gdal-dev] Call for discussion on RFC77 Drop Python 2 support

Howard Butler howard at hobu.co
Tue Nov 17 13:09:50 PST 2020

LGTM. Thanks for the RFC and PRs.

Can I convince Idan to also write an RFC to move all of the swig-generated bindings out of the main tree and into their own project? :)

I'm half-serious, and I know this would represent real disruption. I also know Even is not so enthused about such an effort, but GDAL's bindings packaging is a distribution anti-pattern in just about every language supported at this point. The bindings that are not actually used can either fall away or acquire an active maintainer, and the opportunity for the bindings to evolve at a pace that at least keeps up with language-specific coming and goings would be possible.

Howard