[gdal-dev] GPKG and antimeridian

Bugbuster philippe.ghesquiere at airbus.com
Mon Nov 23 02:29:53 PST 2020

Dear all,

I would like to manage an image which spans over the antimeridian in GPKG
format.
After reading some information in the GDAL forum, I did a few tests and I
have some questions.
First of all, I divided my image MyImage.tif (CRS = EPSG:4326) into 2
sub-images :
1) MyImageEast.tif, which spans [+179.0° ; +180.0°]
2) MyImageWest.tif, which spans [-180.0° ; -179.0°]

Thus, both images lay in the [-180.0° ; +180°] intervalle.

1st test

I created a "single raste_table" GPKG image, based on a VRT image :

It does work. However, the output image is HUGE: all the empty tiles within
[-179.0° ; +179.0°] are created.
* Is there a way to tell gdal_translate not to create those useless tiles ?
* does GPKG format supports "missing tiles" in such case ?

2nd test:

I created a two-step GPKG, using the "APPEND_SUBDATASET":

This GPKG is fine. However, it may be difficult to deal with 2 sub-datasets
in our use-cases.
* Would it be possible to update an already existing subdataset ?
* Are there other ways to deal with images over the antimeridian?