[gdal-dev] Fw: Building GDAL with ECW support

Richard Greenwood richard.greenwood at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 13:12:06 PST 2021

I used this docker image successfully on a SID file and it claims support
for ECW format also:
https://hub.docker.com/r/klokantech/gdal/
And then, as Richard Duivenvoorde suggested, convert your ECW to a geotiff.
A geotiff with YCbCr JPEG compression and overviews can be nearly as small
as a SID or ECW and in my experience is better performing.

Rich

On Tue, Feb 2, 2021 at 1:35 AM Richard Duivenvoorde <rdmailings at duif.net>
wrote:

> On 2/1/21 9:21 PM, Pteroglossus via gdal-dev wrote:
>
> > My problem started there at the last step:
> >
> > - "make": https://pastebin.com/6bMjhcyk
>
> Not sure which ecw sdk you downloaded, but when I did the notes there told
> me to use GDAL 3.1, and from your output you are using 2.3.1?
>
> From the ERDAS_ECW_JPEG2000_SDK.pdf:
>
> Version 5.5 Update 2
> Released: September 2020
> Updated public GDAL driver to be compatible with 5.5 release and GDAL 3.1.
>
> Not sure if it should compile with 2.3.1 also but because of that I just
> 'git cloned' the gdal repo and then 'git checkout release/3.1' to get to
> the 3.1 sources...
>
> Good luck
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard Duivenvoorde